In the event you need to do gap closure, you will be required to retake the ARPL assessment after you have completed the gap closure training for the recommended duration (the ARPL retake will be at no additional cost). We will then apply for your serial number after which you will return to Qualitas for your trade test readiness preparation and then proceed to do your trade test.
Auto-electrical does not yet have an ARPL assessment. In this case you must meet the minimum requirement of 4 years’ relevant experience after which you will submit the relevant documents for us to apply for a serial number and you will come for trade test readiness only and then proceed to do the trade test.
In the case of a corporation or even the candidate wanting a guideline or recommendation as to how many weeks of preparation they will need. We do offer a pre-trade test assessment.
- A minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience
- A service letter from your place of work proving this experience – Copy of your CV
- Certified copy of ID.
However, if the candidate has an N6, then they only need 18 months of workplace experience in order to do a trade test.
For training, a candidate must be a minimum of 16 years old and must have a grade 9. We do however recommend obtaining an N2 as this will be beneficial to the training. Please note that these requirements are for wielding, electrical, diesel mechanics and motor mechanics and Not auto-electrician.
Qualitas does not sponsor apprenticeships privately. We may sometimes receive funding where candidates are funded by the government or other organizations for an apprenticeship program which runs for 3 years. Please note these types of programs are not recurring or scheduled. They may become available at any time. You can keep tabs on facebook where we post updates or make announcements if a new opening or program becomes available.
We do not offer learnerships.
In this case you can provide an affidavit.
- I am self employed, does my letter count? Self employed candidates’ experience does count towards a trade test application. You will need to provide an affidavit stating you are self employed but you must also get at least 3 statements in the form of affidavits, from people who you have rendered services to.
- I am a foreign national, can I apply for a trade test? Yes. As long as your work permit is valid for longer than 6 months, you can apply for a trade test. Make sure you meet the rest of the requirements too.
- Can I do preparation and trade testing only? The only trade you can do this for is Auto-electrical. All the other trades we offer require the candidate to first do a compulsory ARPL assessment. If, however, you have completed your ARPL assessment at a different center and would like to make use of our other services, you are welcome to, as long as you provide evidence of the completion of the ARPL as well as the recommendation enclosed with it.
- I only need 1 week of training, when can I start? The ARPL assessment will give us a recommendation and indication of how many weeks of training you will need. Training can refer to both gap closure training and/or trade test preparation. Therefore any trade that requires an ARPL assessment means you will
The process can take anything between 4- 8 weeks. A trade test certificate can take a minimum of 3 months to be sent to us from QCTO:
ARPL booking: can be booked upon your availability (almost immediately if you fit the criteria)
Serial number: ±2 weeks after ARPL assessment
Trade Test Readiness: ± 4 weeks upon receipt of serial number Trade testing: immediately after the last day of trade test readiness Certificate: ± 3 months after trade testing
- I cannot be available for 6 weeks or the duration recommended That’s perfectly fine. At Qualitas we are accommodating to all your needs and time constraints/limitations. You do not have to attend your programme consecutively (all at once). You are welcome to attend according to your availability. We do encourage at least a few times a week or a week a month so as to not extend the programme too long and to cover content thoroughly.
We do not offer weekend classes. Our training is full time Monday-Friday.
We prefer it if you pay when you start your courses. We do not recommend paying in advance before receiving a serial number or booking as it can sometimes take longer than anticipated.
- I have experience in more than 1 trade, can I apply for a trade test in both? No. You will need to wait 6 months before applying for the second qualification.
- Where is the red seal certificate from? The QCTO prints all red seal certificates. If you would like to confirm the legitimacy of your certificate, you can do this by calling the QCTO and giving them the certificate number.