Trade test preparation
Preparation focuses on going through each trade test task ensuring the candidate’s readiness for the test.
We are fully accredited to do trade testing in the following trades: Motor and Diesel Mechanics, Auto-electrician, Welders and Electricians. At the end of which you will receive a RED SEAL certificate which is issued by the QCTO.
We offer short courses tailored to your needs. If you would like to brush up on your skills or learn something new, our qualified personnel are ready to attend to your requests. Our short courses are between 1-3 weeks. If you cannot find what you are looking for in the list below, feel free to contact us so that we can create a custom package.
Diesel and Petrol mechanic short courses (e.g)
- Servicing of diesel/petrol vehicles (HDV & LDV)
- Remove and replace various diesel/petrol vehicle components.
- Gearbox repairs (manual)
- Air or hydraulic brakes systems
- Engine problem solving: injectors (diesel), turbo, valve clearance, fan speed testing, cooling system, etc.
- Remove, assess and replace a cylinder head
- Engine fitting: Using the vernier, caliper, outside micrometers, depth gauge, and telescopic gauge.
- Engine overhaul
- Dismantling, assessing and assembling starters (HDV & LDV)
- Dismantling, assessing and assembling alternators.
- Panel wiring
- Fault finding on vehicle circuits
- Interpret circuit diagrams
- Battery testing
- Engine problem solving
- Use of multi meters and test bench
If you are new to the trade and would like to start learning about a specific trade, we offer a 6 months course which can be divided into 3 years (2 months of in center training and 10 months of workplace exposure per year over the 3 years) For some trades this will meet the minimum requirement to conduct a trade test at the end of the 3 years.
ARPL assessments: (NEW – ARTISAN RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING}
The ARPL assessment is compulsory for all motor and diesel mechanics looking to undergo a trade test. This assessment recognizes any gaps the candidate may have in the trade and whether the candidate qualifies for the trade test. It takes a day or 2 to complete. If there are gaps, we will train you accordingly and re-assess you before a trade test is recommended.